The Maison des Sciences Sociales du Handicap (MSSH – Social Sciences Centre for the Disabled) is a multidisciplinary centre for research, expertise and training in the disability sector, which aims to provide a forum for discussion and scientific feedback with national and international scope.
Centre for scientific research and training
The MSSH aims to become the melting pot for scientific studies to increase the number of courses available and provide a focal point for a range of complementary conferences organised by various chairs, their associated organisations and guest speakers.
Development of a centre for social science events
The MSSH is made up of 3 initiatives:
- Creation of 3 chairs relating to social issues raised by disability and loss of autonomy in partnership with the Caisse nationale de solidarité pour l’autonomie (CNSA – National Autonomy Solidarity Fund)
- Cooperation with the Institut fédératif de recherche sur le handicap (IFRH – Federative Institute on Research into Disability), that has become a research training body supported by INSERM – National Institute of Health and Medical Research
- Continuation of the activities of CTNERHI (National Technical Centre for Study and Research into Disability and Maladjustment) within the EHESP
The MSSH administration and finance are governed jointly by the EHESP and the CNSA. The President is Jean François Ravaud who is responsible for coordination.
The MSSH has:
- A Management Board comprising members of the various departments of the MSSH and representatives from the EHESP
- A Scientific Committed, composed of the three chairs and representatives of the EHESP and CNSA
- A Steering Committee composed of the financing bodies (CNSA, EHESP, INSERM, ENS (Ecole Normale Supérieure) and the CNRS – National Scientific Research centre))
- Social participation and disability situations Chair (CNSA – EHESP – INSERM)
- Social Care and Health Chair, (CNSA – EHESP – CNRS)
- Mental Disability and Decision for Others Chair, (CNSA – EHESP – ENS)
- Promote, support and implement research and higher education in the field of disability
- Facilitate discussion between researchers and professionals
- Contribute towards research and dissemination of knowledge about disability at international and European level
Cooperation with the Institut fédératif de recherche sur le handicap (IFRH – Federative Institute on Research into Disability)
This initiative aims to incorporate the IFRH into the MSSH. The IFRH is a federation of 28 research laboratories throughout France coordinated by INSERM.
- Encourage discussion between lecturers, researchers, associations and professionals
- Organise events
- Create a dynamic institution
Programs already set up at the MSSH
- Platform for the coordination of the applications of the INSEE Disability-Health survey
- Head Office for the Alter European Journal of Disability Research
A research unit
The EHESP research unit is attached to the Department of Human and Social Sciences and Health Behaviour.
- Social epidemiology, application of the Disability-Health survey
- Government policies, institutional practices, international comparison
- Disability – concepts and models
- Employment of disabled persons and consequences of the application of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Qualitative study on understanding mental health issues in the Disability-Health survey
- Fundamental rights of persons with intellectual disability or mental health problems
- Thesis in progress on the representation of disability in cartoons for children
WHO collaborating centre for the ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health)
The MSSH and the EHESP are continuing the mission of WHO collaborating Centres for the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) in French, a mission undertaken by the CTNERHI since 1989.
- Publicity, dissemination, raising awareness (GIFFOCH – International French-speaking Group for Training in the Classifications of Disability)
- Contribution to committees of international experts on the ICF (revision of the ICF)
- Participation in the various training courses within the EHESP
- Collaboration in the Master of Disability situations and social participation, EHESP- Rennes 2 University
- Participation in various courses in cooperation with the EHESP
- DREES (Directorate for research, studies, evaluation and statistics)
- European Human Consultancy
- European Platform for Rehabilitation
- FRA (Fundamental Rights Agency)
- GIFFOCH (International French-speaking Group for Training in the Classifications of Disability)
- Rennes 2 University
- INSERM, Rare Disabilities group
- Orphanet group responsible for indexing the functional consequences of rare diseases in terms of the ICF
- Commission for monitoring the application of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, with respect to research
- ANED (Academic Network of European Disability Experts)
The MSSH documentation service manages, distributes and evaluates information on disability at national and international level. It has more than 16,500 books and 120 collections of periodicals covering the psychological, sociological, economic and legal aspects of all deficiencies.
Main themes covered
- Education, teaching methods and school integration
- Social and occupational integration
- Financial and social costs of disability
- Rights of persons with disabilities
- European and international policies
- Bibliographical database with more than 26,800 references
- Legislative database with more than 16,300 references
- A directory of more than 400 organisms and associations in the disability sector
- Theme watch and construction of bibliographies
- Producing document files
- Flash Handicap: Free information letter published twice a month with details of legislative news from the legal watch and proposing a selection of information in specialist literature in the field.
- Sciences sociales et handicap: The monthly MSSH scientific report on scientific events regarding the disability sector. It is intended to evaluate and promote scientific projects and publications in the field of human and social sciences.
EHESP – Maison des sciences sociales du handicap
236 bis, rue de Tolbiac
Tél. : + 33 (0) 1 45 65 59 00
Tél. : + 33 (0) 1 45 65 59 26 - Mssh.email@example.com
Unité de recherche
Tél. : + 33 (0) 1 45 65 59 09